Pages

The Awakening of a Muse

The Nine Muses
We all have muses. Whether you are a writer, artist, musician, singer, or even a CEO, we all have muses. We all have a voice that whispers words of inspiration in our ear, the encourager, the one that reinforces our ideas…. And if we are lucky enough we recognize that voice and heed its words.

As children, our muses sing songs loud and proud; and we happily listen. Our creativity is at its peak and we draw and color and sing and play; our imagination soars to new heights… it’s the joy and wonder of being a child. Do you remember coloring trees purple, and dogs green, and grass blue? Do you remember coloring outside of the lines? Do you remember giving those drawings to your parents, grandparents, and/or your teachers? Do you remember how proud they were of your “masterpiece”?

Somewhere along the line, someone or something tells us to color in the lines, and that trees aren’t purple they are green. We start to be praised for being common and for containing our imagination. The ordinary takes place of the extraordinary and our poor muses voices get muted. Now, I know that there is the exception…. Some people are lucky enough to not lose that sing-song companion; but for most of us, we are expected to fit inside a pretty little box packaged all the same, and sent down the conveyor belt of life.

As a child, I was super imaginative and precocious. I told stories to anyone who would listen. I would raid my sisters music collection and record over her “Tears For Fears” song “Shout” and did my own little squeaky voiced version of the song (keep in mind, when I was 5, she was 17). To say she was angry would be an understatement. I always knew I would either be a Writer, Journalist like Barbara Walters, or the first woman President. I was confident in everything I did and creativity oozed out of every pore.

When junior high rolled around, I along with all of my classmates were told to get serious and grow up; and to let go of “unrealistic dreams” of becoming models, actors, writers and famous politicians. We took career quizzes to see which job suited us and were told to think about college. My muse was suffocated by my attempts to “grow up” and she went silent. I didn’t notice at first because there were plenty of fun distractions like boys, sports, and did I mention boys? However, when college rolled around and then a career, I was uninspired and unhappy with everything. I felt lost and inadequate. I was a Wife, Mom, and career Student (because every major I chose was unfulfilling)…. But who was I, what was I?

My Husband and parents knew that I was a talented writer and story teller, so when I announced that I was going back to writing; I received nothing but support and encouragement! That is the day my Muse woke up. My old sweet friend had returned to whisper sweet something’s in my ear, and as I listened she became louder and louder. She now sings to me. I have learned in these last few years, that if I don’t use her I lose her. If I feel emotionally exhausted, or physically exhausted, I lose her. She is a very sensitive Muse that needs to be nurtured. I also learned a very valuable lesson about myself. I am a reflection of my muse. I need to take care of me, I need to value me; and I will always encourage my children and others in their creative pursuits.

~Until Next Time…
Genevieve Rule
 
Site Design by Genevieve Rule 2013